Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Test

This past week, I had two very intense tests to prepare for.  The first one was last Friday, and was a 30-minute oral exam.  There wasn't much I could do to prepare for it, because no one knew what the questions would be.  I just showed up, and started talking, answering questions with the teacher as I went, and hopefully showing fluency  in Spanish.  In order to pass the oral test, I needed to achieve an 'advance' rating on my speaking abilities. (One teacher told me that an 'advanced' level is when a Spanish speaker who has never talked to a gringo before can walk up to me and hold a conversation, and I can understand and make myself understood.)  Considering that I came to Costa Rica to study Spanish only 7 months ago, and that I came in with almost no Spanish, getting an advanced rating would be pretty huge for me after only two trimesters at the school.

The second test was last Tuesday, and was a comprehensive, 3 hour, 300 point written exam.  It covered everything: present tense, past tense, future tense, subjunctives, parifrases, comparatives, quoting people... everything!  In order to pass the written test, I need at least a 70% as a final score.  Most students take both exams after their third semester at the school, but since we are leaving in less that two weeks, I decided to take them now.  I took them for two big reasons:  First, I wanted to graduate here with the diploma (in order to graduate with the diploma, you have to pass BOTH tests first!).  Second, since we are leaving early, I wanted to confirmation that my Spanish had grown to the level where I'd be able to converse well when we get to Mexico.  I was hoping that these tests would assure me that I have everything that I need to serve and minister in Mexico.

However, as I've been waiting for the results, I realized something: I was looking for something from these tests that should only come from God!  There is NOTHING in this world that can make me a competent minister of the Gospel apart from the Lord, no classes, no tests, no human confirmation or adulation.  Nothing makes me 'good enough' or 'equipped enough' except God.  I was reminded of what God told the prophet Jeremiah, in Jeremiah 1:



      Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
                  and before you were born I consecrated you;
                  I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”

6 Then I said, “Ah, Lord GOD! Behold, I do not know how to speak, for I am only a youth.” 7 But the LORD said to me,

                  “Do not say, ‘I am only a youth’;
                  for to all to whom I send you, you shall go,
                  and whatever I command you, you shall speak.
            8    Do not be afraid of them,
                  for I am with you to deliver you,
                  declares the LORD.”

9 Then the LORD put out his hand and touched my mouth. And the LORD said to me,

                  “Behold, I have put my words in your mouth.
            10  See, I have set you this day kover nations and over kingdoms,
                  to pluck up and to break down,
                  to destroy and to overthrow,
                  to build and to plant.”


The Holy Bible: English Standard Version. 2001 (Je 1:5–10). Wheaton: Standard Bible Society.

God was well aware of my deficiencies when He chose me.  He was aware of my sin when He saved me.  He knew about my pride and my struggles when He began to sanctify me.  He knew of my terrible Spanish when He called me to serve and share and minister in Mexico.  God knew!  And not only did He know, He called me anyways!!  I don't need a test or a class or a piece of paper to tell me that I have what it takes to serve in Mexico, because God has already confirmed this in me!

So, I'm going to go receive my scores in about 5 minutes.  I'll be excited if I pass, and I'll be disappointed if I fail, but I will remember that neither one defines who I am or my ability to serve God, because it is God who is doing the work in me, and it is He who will see it through to the day of completion.  May I never build up something else to have the significance in my life that only God deserves, because if my God is for me, then who (or what) shall be against me? (and that includes my terrible Spanish!).  May you also find yourself justified and covered today with all that you need in Christ, because He is more than enough for us!

No comments :

}, 10);