Wednesday, February 15, 2012

El Clásico

This won't be a very long blog post, but I did want to share a little about a cool experience that I got to have this past weekend.  My birthday is coming up in a few days, and one of my gifts was that I got to buy a ticket to a soccer match down here!  We asked around, and found out that the rivalry match was happening on Sunday, Saprissa v. La Liga.  Saprissa and La Liga are both teams from the San José area (La Liga is actually from Alejuela, where the International Airport is), and are big rivals (one of the first questions that I typically get asked when I'm trying to get to know someone down here is "Are you a Saprissista?  Or a Ligista?).  I had just received a La Liga jersey (another birthday gift), so I was excited about maybe going to this game!

At the game in my new La Liga jersey!
I asked around some, and found out that a large group of guys at the school all wanted to catch a game, so we ended up getting 10 tickets!  We weren't really sure what our tickets were like until we got to the game, and found out that we were in the front row, directly behind the goal!  The seats were AWESOME!

The game was great: really crazy fans, fun, some good action at the goal in front of us, great weather, and no 'violence' or other issues that people tried to tell me would happen.  The only negative was that Saprissa beat La Liga 2-1, so I didn't get to see my team win.  Overall, I can't wait to do it again.

I took some video with my camera (not with my good camera, unfortunately, which I left at home), and I wanted to share some of it with you to give you just a little taste of what it all was like.  I hope to get to see a few more games down here while we're studying here!


No comments :

}, 10);