Monday, June 23, 2008

Tamed and Hypocrisy

So, we are currently discussing "Taming the Tongue" in youth group. . .4 different weeks, 4 subjects: Encouragement, Quarreling, Profanity, and Praising. This past week, I was gone (the only Sunday I can remember missing for a non-youth ministry related event. While I was gone, I had my friend and former student Jacob teach the lesson on quarreling. . . and talk about how we often miss the point about God simply because we are too busy arguing the things that don't really matter. So, lo and behold, while I'm out of town, I have several opportunities to discuss religion with some members of my wife's family: Catholic wedding, a cousin discusses their Episcopal church, talking about pastors I've been listening to online and books I've been reading. . . great discussions and conversations. But, at the end of the weekend, I realize that I haven't discussed one single thing of eternal importance all weekend! I've argued theology, discussed ideas, and stood up for the 'right things,' but never once talked about God's love, Christ's atonement, my depravity, or God's great grace and salvation. What a horrible moment to realize that I've missed the point completely, and haven't learned even from the lessons that I've prepared the importance of my every word being seasoned with salt and being prepared to give an answer for this hope that I have!! Forgive me, Lord, for these and all other times that I've missed the chances You've given me simply because I couldn't stop my tongue and use the Spirit instead!

No comments :

}, 10);